Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Random Life and Dealing With Imperfect Things

Last night after work my mum and I stopped by to get 1/4 of a butchered cow that we bought and while we were there I saw this absolutely beautiful dog. If I ever get a dog in my lifetime it will be like that one: a Rottweiler and a Mastiff mix. Let me tell you, it was the prettiest and best dog I've seen in my life. Never seen another dog so beautiful and sweet and docile. Then this morning I had a dentist appointment and ever since I got home I've done nothing but wedding plans with Rakie. Wow...who knew so much went into one single day. You really have no idea how huge a wedding is till you are literally one step away from being the bride. This thing is just nuts! We focused mainly on groomsmen/bridesmaids stuff and a little bit of bridal shower planning along with music planning. It has been hectic...now she is stuck with a headache and me with this "take charge" attitude. I really like wedding planning...maybe it's a good career opportunity! LOL. I could spend other people's money to create beautiful weddings. Sounds perfect.

Anyways...I still haven't quite decided what to do my serious part about...trying to think of something applicable. Ok, I have something. Last night, I "stumbled" across a "revelation". Here it goes: we are never satisfied with anything. I know, it's crazy because everyone always knows that. But really...I don't mean to pick on her, I'm just using her as example while understanding that everyone is imperfect and even I do this kind of thing...but last night my little sister was having this huge meltdown because her mp3 player is breaking down. We all gave it to her last year for her birthday (about a year ago). At the time she had been overjoyed and so grateful for it, but now that it broke all she can say is how she never wanted an mp3 player and how unreliable and breakable they are. I was just stunned by how fast her attitude went down the drain the moment things went wrong.

But how true this is of any person alive. We get something and it's great...but the moment we lose interest or it breaks or becomes any less then picture perfect, how fast do we throw it away? I've seen this down not only in physical things but in relationships. Friends of mine get together and the moments it goes sour...the moment the "honeymoon" is over and reality sets in...when they realize the person that they thought they knew so well has some flaws that they had missed in the first round...when they realize it's not all fun and games and there actually is work involved...then they call it off. This isn't even in teenagers, but you just look around and actually listen to the divorce rates of today and it's so sad. God gives us things...and we look at it as a blessing...but the moment that we see some crack or flaw in it...it needs to be thrown out. We can't stand for anything less than 100% perfect. We can't get out the old glue gun and paste it back together. Sure, it won't sparkle like the first time we brought it home from the store, but it is that same old thing that we have memories with and it still works. Maybe you need to work with it a little bit...maybe work a little harder than before...but who ever said work was a bad thing? Last I checked it was a great thing and it produced productivity and earned you a lot of respect and a good name as well as it showed glory to God. If you show yourself to be a quitter in anything (life, love, work) how is that at all an honor to God's name? If His people is made up of people who can't see a thing through to the end what does that say about Him?

This isn't at all any of His fault. He deals out exactly what is just and fair. It is we who have failed Him by giving up on the blessings He has given us. We want it to work just like it did when we bought it...we want it to sparkle, shine, play, move, breath and whatever else this material or immaterial thing that we're talking about does...we want it just exactly brand new. That's just not possible. Things grow old...doesn't mean they always break...but they become less than perfect in time. That is no cause or reason to throw it away. It just requires some hard work and a lot of dedication to see it through to the end. A quitter doesn't win anything but a bad reputation for being a failure. A quitter doesn't receive any reward. I recently watched a movie where the father in it said something to his future son-in-law. It was this: "If you take good care of something, it will last you forever". Now he was talking about shoes, but he was hypothetically talking about marriage to his daughter too. If we treat things carefully and like treasure, yes, it will truly be treasure to us for our whole lives.

So whatever you're blessed with....even if it is an mp3 player...or a marriage or a job or anything...treat it like treasure, never quit on it, work hard to keep it even if it's less than perfect, and remember that it was given to you that you may grow from it, learn from it, and not give up on it. It was given as a blessing...accept it as a blessing...and always always remember it is a blessing even if it becomes less 100% perfect.

Here is wishing you all the loveliest of evenings!

No comments: