Wednesday, August 29, 2012

A Sprinkle of Gratitude

So I got to thinking about it...and really what a part of my post yesterday (dealing with the imperfect things) has to do with is a little bit of honest gratitude. And it's hard for all of us to be grateful at one time or another, but sometimes you really need to give it a push and then you see how many things you truly are grateful for...but you never get around to thinking about it. It's like that quote that I said in a post a little while back:  "What if we woke up tomorrow with everything we thanked God for yesterday". I don't think I would have much at all, if anything. That's just downright wrong!

So right now I'm going to make a list of 50 things that I am currently very thankful for...some of them are common and obvious...but I don't usually like getting to the Thanksgiving table and saying I'm just grateful for a house over my head and my family and my work and stuff...I like to be creative and dig deeper. I'd encourage you also to make some kind of a list...maybe a journal. Just jot down things everyday...who cares if there are repeats? It's a great start to remember to be thankful and grateful for everything that we've been blessed with, and we have been blessed.

Today, I'm grateful for:
1) God and His love, mercy, and law
2) cute teapots
3) my mother
4) water
5) big hoodies
6) fog
7) pretty soap
8) anything that is pink or purple
9) LISTS
10) friends who bring sugar over to make you ungrumpy
11) internet
12) Bible verses that apply to current situations
13) money
14) the ability to earn money
15) feeling my heartbeat
16) weddings
17) music
18) headphones
19) really good books
20) strawberry lemonade
21) glorious heat
22) true peace
23) recovering piano music
24) finding lost keys
25) knowing I am saved and forgiven
26) pretty paper and pens to write with
27) burning hot showers
28) food you can eat anytime
29) coffee
30) meeting new people
31) the future
32) late night parties
33) finding new music artists that I like
34) spiders to kill flies
35) cats to kill spiders
36) my teachers
37) my health
38) flowers given as a surprise gift
39) jewelry
40) Chinese food
41) kids who say they love you
42) sunshine
43) fuzzy blankets
44) inside jokes
45) whipped cream
46) candles
47) any kind of cheese
48) having an intelligent mind by which to think clearly
49) my church (family)
50) lovely, quiet mornings

There you go! Just a few ideas to get you started. Once you get on a roll there is no stopping you! It really does clear up your day and your heart and kind of give you this weightlessness. I feel like I could go conquer the world right about now :) So make your own list...you have the time and there's no reason not to! Show people...encourage them to do it...spread it on and remind people that there are SO many things to be thankful for if we only stopped to notice them! We tend to spend our days whining and griping but never focus on the many many...MANY things that we truly do love. Have a beautiful and blessed day!

No comments: