Sunday, August 12, 2012

Control - Who Has It?

Lately God has really been trying to get my attention on the issue of control. If you know me, you know that I love being in control...maybe not totally all control freakish all the time...but I do like to have things going smoothly. But somehow what is smooth to me isn't always smooth to God. He's been showing me that even though I like to be the one in the driver seat, it just isn't best. I really suck as a driver. He is my driver...the one with the directions. He knows exactly where I'm going, even though I don't know it yet. If you've never been smacked in the face with this kind of reality it really is a bucket of cold water.

A lot of things have happened lately without meaning or a purpose behind it (at least not that I can see). Things took a complete turn around and I am left in the dust...blinking and wondering when on earth everything changed. Sound familiar? It's life! Within a few short breaths you are facing a whole new direction. Maybe it's because I'm just at an age where things hit you harder and faster...like when you close your eyes during baseball and when you open them all of a sudden you are being pelted with tennis balls.

That whole new direction isn't always nice...it doesn't play "fair". It doesn't know the "rules of life." But those aren't real rules after all...they're just rules that you've set up so that life is somewhat easier. And since you're not the driver those "rules" aren't truly valid. They are wishful thinking. Life is really really hard...you're gonna have days where you just sit and cry. Do you have what it takes to get through (hint: that's God)? Do you have His strength to make it through? To ignore the fact you don't know what the heck is going on with your life? To give him the keys to the car of life? If you don't...do it before you lose control of the wheel. It's a crazy mess with Him.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"withOUT Him" is what I think you meant to say at the end there. Good post. :)

Unknown said...

Yes that is what I meant! lol - thank you!