Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Priorities And Time-Management

My latest pet peeve with myself is priorities...and focus. I've been very unfocused and easily distracted by things...like my computer...and the Internet...and music...and so many other things. Next fall, Lord willing, I'll be going off to college and along with part-time school I'll be working as well. As excited as I am for that, I'm also a little nervous. Things distract me so easily! Something comes up and I think, "Hey, I'll only do this for a few minutes and then I'll do school." Well...it's not as easy as it sounds, huh? I'm sure I'm not the only one either! When was the last time any of us actually did all our work before getting our free time and fun stuff done?

One thing that has been helping me though is the thought that my time is not my own. It's not really my time. It's the time of those who depend on me. It's my mum's time...my family's time...my bosses' time...and especially God's time. I'm wasting other people's time by wasting my time. I'm holding others up. There is a lot I could get done for others if I get my work and school done early or even on time.

When I went down to Bob Jones University I asked my roommates what was (and is!) the hardest thing about being at college. What was the biggest challenge and adjustment? They both agreed that it was time-managing. The distraction of goofing off or playing around or getting online as opposed to studying or working or cleaning or something productive! Now...I'm not saying there's nothing productive online to do. But all in good moderation. Time managing is so hard, right?

So what are some steps to go about it? First of all...you need to decide to stick to it. Sure it can be great to start...hard yes...but even harder to stick to it as I know myself full well! So focus on the task at hand...decide to make a difference and then make sure to review often to make sure you're still on track! Second...get up early...or relatively early. For me this falls about 8am. That's WAY early enough for me. If you couldn't tell I am really not a morning person.

If you're going to get up earlier this means you have to get to bed earlier too! I am a night person...for sure. I can be up till 4am and think nothing of it because I'm comfortable at that hour! I also used to watch a lot of tv at night so that would be a big reason to keep myself up. But I make sure to try and get to bed before midnight now! But the thought that in the morning I will be as dead as...well any dead thing...that tends to sober me up because I remember what it feels like to feel awful!

So onto another things to help....get rid of distractions! If this means hiding music, computers, fun books whatever it is...get it out of sight. Maybe have somebody to keep you accountable hold onto your stuff until you have it all done. Out of sight isn't always out of mind...but it will certainly help you not to just "check something real quick". Make sure it's no where you can see or else your mind will keep straying to it.

Give yourself rewards! When I get a few math lessons done then I'll play solitaire game. I know that sound pretty dumb...but it's a quick fun thing. I only allow myself one quick game or else I'll sit there for hours on my computer doing anything and everything! Maybe get up and take a quick walk...the fresh air to your brain will help motivate and focus your brain. Or even treat yourself! After a good amount of work then eat or drink something special as a treat. It's a good boast and motivator to get done faster and get more done!

Make lists! Make sure you know exactly what you have to do and how much. Be specific if you want...it does help! This way something doesn't get forgotten or pushed to another day or time. You know exactly what needs to be accomplished. Then make another list of fun things you get to do afterwards...you can get on Pinterest! You can update your blog! You can go hang out with friends at the mall or watch your tv show...whatever it is that you want to do! That way you have a whole bunch of things to do after your work and you know exactly what you're looking forward to!

For college I know I need to be focused and very centered on how I spend every moment of my time. It has to be used well. Time-management will determine if college is really overwhelming or easier for you to grasp a hold of. Some people have said that college really isn't hard...it's a breeze! Those are the people who go and know how to prioritize and focus on the important tasks at hand. So I'm getting a head start on that and trying to do it now so that by the time college really does roll around I'm prepared!

So there is a short list of ways to be more focused and better with time-managing! I can't promise amazing or immediate results...these work for me but maybe not for you! If you have anything that works for you let me know in a comment! I'd love for more ideas and I may even post them as a continuing post for this one! Let me know how it works if you decide to try it!

No comments: