Thursday, November 1, 2012

Day 4


Bob Jones University Competition - Day 4

This has been the one experience where time has seemed to slow down and where I don't want to be home the entire time! I did maybe on the first day...but it improved so much! God has really worked through this whole learning curve. That long ride here and that late night when we arrived seems like it was a month ago when it was just a few nights ago! So crazy. If you are even considering going to this BJU compeition or even Bob Jones in general...DO IT. I know everyone always comes away with these things with some great little "revival" story about how it changed their life and now you just have to go there...but this is real. Never been more honest when I say that I came here one person and grew up SO much here. Not just musically but also as a person. Just performing with these great "legends" of music...the best players in the states coming together to perform their best...a select few making it to the finals...and then one person/group making it to ultimate final...it's huge. It's not easy to find information about this competition that takes place once a year...but if you can dig up information and afford the little amount that it costs (probably $80 in all including food, rooms, performance, judging, growing, learning, orchestra experience, perfoming experience, and gas) then do it...it's just not stressed enough...do it! Unless you come here with a bad attitude, not willing to grow and learn and just play for God (or if you're deathly sick the whole time *cough* Tori *cough*) then you may leave a bit glad...but to be truthful I can see myself being sad to leave here on Friday morning and rather excited for my next year at Grand Valley. This experience down here has also been a spiritually growing time...it's reminded me of where my focus even in college and music is to be. God. God alone and always. He's not seperate...He's not in some box reserved for church and maybe a daily devotional time as well as youth group (which...fyi...my church does not do and I would not attend). He is deeply and intimately involved in every area of our life. He's here at college and it's been a huge eye-opener to see how these young students starting on their adult life make God a daily part of their lives...God is so woven up in their lives that they can't get away from Him! They stick to a very modest and professional dress standard (I miss pants...specifically my jeans!), before every class they pray, before every rehearsal they pray, they have chapel daily, they have dorm room activities each night (three dorms get together to do praise night, prayer night, or individual room devotions), and every class has God at its core. Seeing how people still exist to praise God and firstly bring Him glory has been such a blessing...to know that it's not contained...to know that there are so many more of us out there who aren't afraid to shout  out His name...that there is just a huge thing. It's huge. Maybe we normally take it for granted but I think we all need these little "world-shaking" and eye-opening situations where we are exposed to great truths of the world!

Anyways! I'm rambling and I haven't even begun to touch upon today...just on the experience as a whole. So I woke up late and didn't make it to breakfast but headed to trio practice...we sounded pretty good and so then we performed at 10. Took a wee break and just chilled for a bit...got some breakfast finally and hung out for a bit before I went to get ready for my solo (for finals). That came and went...I did well, I believe. I wasn't super focused on how I was playing so I couldn't tell you if it was better or worse than the day before...but I'm happy and content with how I played! Then we all hung out and went around listening to the other finals (Derek, Ian, Jon, Ben, and Seth). Then we (Tori, Ben, Derek, and I) headed over to Chic-fi-la to get some drinks and food. I got my laptop to check my email and Facebook and put some pictures online while the others headed over to the Student Center to play games of vicious ping-pong. Wow, they really get going! Anyways...from there we went to dinner and after that we headed over to the concert where a lot of the first-place people got to perform...we heard the percussion ensemble, handbell ensemble, vocal soloist, piano soloist, string soloist, brass soloist, organ soloist, top tv editorial, and top acting group. After that we had placing awards. Seth got 3rd for men's vocal, Ben got 2rd for brass solo, Derek got 3rd place for string's solo, Ian and Ellen got 1st for string's ensemble (!!!) and The Pure Michigan Trio (starring Tori Dys, Derek Eilert, and Sarah Bacon from Homeschool Music Association in St. Johns, Michigan playing Roudeau from Ariodante by Handel and Trio in D Major by Beethoven) got SECOND PLACE FOR STRING ENSEMBLE. Just a little excited. I was so happy and excited!!! I got to go up on stage and get the amazingly big trophy (pictures to come on my picture blog)...found myself nearly in tears up there...so very grateful...God is so good and I wish there was some way to have been able to communicated that to the audience. I'm sure they probably knew, but I wish I could have just stayed and worshiped Him truly and completely. Even if we hadn't placed at all I know somehow that I would have been okay with that...just being there tonight and seeing the joy and praise and blessings flowing just filled me up. You have no idea how empty you are till you are filled again. You don't know how much you miss Him till you see Him again. Seeing Him on the faces of so many tonight...just...God is so great, amazing, wonderful, powerful, loving, and merciful. Those words don't mean much unless you stop and truly think about the meaning and strength behind them. Everyone has done so superbly this whole week...those who made it to finals and those who didn't...those who placed and those who didn't. To be here is huge...to perform is huge...to make it to finals is huge...to place is huge...to win is huge. But none can be taken for granted. None are deserved. After that we had orchestra rehearsal and that went very well...we started with sectionals and then had some good quality orchestra practice. It's all so easy and non-challenging, but it's been a joy seeing those around me grow and advance and have fun with the music and this is the one place where I can be a bold leader and not be afraid of people resenting me because of my position. Anyways...after that we all came back to the dorms to hang out, talk, and have devotions.

So...I've just been talking for a long time now and for those of you who are actually still reading...thank you for putting up with me! I am praying as I write this that you are blessed and uplifted by this message! Feel free to comment...feel free to follow me (creepy...clarification: online, not in person unless you bring chocolate)...feel free to criticize..feel free to come back and read more!

3 comments:

Lauren said...

Go Sarah!! That's awesome :) congratulations HSMA! So proud of you all!

Unknown said...

Your picture blog?

Unknown said...

http://picturesforhisglory.blogspot.com/