Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Day 2


Bob Jones University Competition - Day 2
What a day. It's felt like 5 days to be honest. If I don't make this relatively short then I'm going to fall asleep on here for sure. My head is pounding like crazy and my eyes are burning - haha. So the day began with breakfast. I am so grateful that they have a gluten-free section...it's a God-sent for sure. We had breakfast (eggs, potatoes, bacon, sausage etc.) and got started. A lot of the morning was devoted to hanging out and not doing much...basically exploring and finding little things to do. We followed David around for a little bit...and Derek and Jon went to play ping-pong whenever they had a free moment. Well at about 11, we had chapel which was really nice. I very much enjoyed it. After that I had a surprise for my mum...her friend from high school who she hadn't seen for years and years lives near here...so I worked it out that she came down today and surprised my mum. It worked out well and they got to go out and catch up for the day. Throughout the day the other highschoolers starting arriving and that vastly changed my feeling of being here. Before that I felt like a college student...like people looked at me and actually believed that I went there...now that all the highschoolers have arrived they look at me like, "Oh...I get it now, you're so young and inexperienced." But whatever. I just feel more out of place now that they came here. The rest of our group (from HSMA) did get here in mid-afternoon. Tori and I got coffee and walked around for a bit. We had lunch and then hung out till David's class which was on Bible Doctrine. It was a really neat class. I knew everything he taught because it was exactly what Pastor has taught us for years and years...but I still really enjoyed the class. After that Tori and I went to another class which I wanted to sit in on: Biblical Family Foundations. It was really good! Again, all repeated material, but very good nonetheless. After that we headed back to the dorms to do little things with music till practice. The trio all got together and practiced and after that we went to dinner. After dinner all the highschooles went to our "orientation" meeting which lasted about a half an hour an was basically just him welcoming us and giving us instruction and information. After that I went to a practice room to warm up a bit with my solos. Nerve wracking. I'm not so much nervous...but anxious. I really want it over right now...and I'm still very focused on what people will think...not about glorifying God or pleasing my audience or making beautiful music. I have a lot to pray about tonight. Anyways....after my solos are done then I'll be much more free feeling and I'll get to enjoy it more here. We get results on the finals tomorrow night so I should be able to tell you how I did tomorrow night. So after everyone got some time in the practice rooms and I got all my music certified and approved then we hung out and talked for a bit before heading back to our dorms and then hanging out. I got a shower and a ton of the girls on this floor around here were pretty hyped up and partying. It was kinda funny to watch, but at the same time you feel so "outside" of it all. You do feel a bit out of place...you feel like you're in the way and always causing a mess and messing up other people's schedules. Tori hasn't been feeling very well all day and to be honest I think I'm coming down with something. I have a bad sore throat and I've had this migraine since dinner. Oh well...most of the stress will be over by tomorrow and then I'll be able to enjoy it. I'll also get to attend more classes tomorrow. During the classes I did take notes which I'll type up and post as all separate posts so they're distinct and clear...but that won't happen tonight. I'm drifting already and I don't want to fall asleep with my computer on and not tucked in to keep warm. Also, the lights are out so I wouldn't be able to see my notes. So this is me saying goodnight, peeps.

No comments: