Saturday, October 27, 2012

Bob Jones University

So we're headed down to Bob Jones University for their annual music/preaching conference this week. We leave tomorrow at about 5am and won't be back till about Friday at 10pm. By we I mean myself, my mum, my brother, Derek and Mrs. Eilert, Tori Dys, Ian Dufrin, Ben Calhoun, Ellen, Katherine, and Mrs. Miller as well as Mr. Case and Stevie Case. This is my first year going so I'm not exactly sure what to expect. It will take us all of Sunday to drive down there and Monday is our day to rehearse and prepare and relax. We'll be staying in the dorms with the college students so that will be a pretty neat experience. Tuesday will be the day of solos and Wednesday will be the ensembles.

I'm taking two solos and two trio pieces (with Tori and Derek) down there to play. At night we'll be practicing with the big group orchestra. These students are from all over the USA. Along with strings/band there is art, vocal, theatre, organ, and preaching (off the top of my head). While we're down there we can also attend some classes for the actual college students when we're not attending chapel or any other events. We also have a free "game" day and then we head back on Friday.

Because I've never gone and I don't know that much, I suppose I'm a bit apprehensive. But from what I've heard it's all fun though busy. The things that I'm expecting to get out of this? Probably learning to loosen up and enjoy music...music cannot be contained and must be set free like a bird. Also I'm looking forward to a "college experience" and meeting new people with similar interests. Have a super fun week y'all and I will see you next week since I probably won't have wifi there!

No comments: