Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Child-like Trust

Today, I was amazed again at how trusting children can be. As I was babysitting, I was holding Caleb and watching him as he watched me. He fully trusted me and knew I was the one who could take care of him best. They are born full of love and trust for those around them...they don't judge or criticize or drag us down. 

My boss, Whitney, volunteers at an organization called CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocates). CASA volunteers are appointed by judges to watch over and advocate for abused and neglected children, to make sure they don’t get lost in the overburdened legal and social service system or languish in inappropriate group or foster homes. Volunteers stay with each case until it is closed and the child is placed in a safe, permanent home. For many abused children, their CASA volunteer will be the one constant adult presence in their lives. When she comes home and talks about these small young children who are constantly abused by their parents, I am completely confounded. 

These children...born with no grudge against their parents...having never done anything against their parents...are daily abused and/or neglected. They are born loving their parents. Trusting them unconditionally. Isn't that a beautiful image of trust? I wish I had that unconditional trust in my Father. He won't ever neglect or abuse me...and I can consciously know that unlike these small babies. I can know without a doubt that He will tenderly care for me...even more than if I were nothing but a little baby in need of attention. May God grant us all that child-like faithful trust in Him.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good thoughts. :) I guess that's why Jesus said, "Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the Kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it." - Mark 10:15

Unknown said...

That's a perfect thought :) I wish I had the brilliant memory to recall applicable Scripture like that to my posts! Something to definitely strive for, right? Thank you for commenting!