Saturday, September 1, 2012

Of Time

Okay...so I completely forgot what my point for today/tonight was...I was planning it out all day in my head and now that it's 1:30 am I just totally forgot what it was - lol.

Well...today I went out to lunch with my grandma. I don't get to see her or my grandpa very often, just at birthdays and holidays and concerts basically. So it was really neat to get to sit down with her one on one and just talk with her. We talked about so many things...family and future and such. It was just so neat and it reminded me that time really is short and we rarely get to spend time like that.

Who do we love? Who are we close to? Who builds and defines us? Friends, yes for sure. But family too. We've always had a small family...my mum and dad each had one sister and my dad's sister passed away a number of years ago. My mum's sister has two daughters...both older then my older sister and one is now married I think. I don't even know. The only other real relatives I have are my dad's mum and step-dad who live about five minutes away and my mum's mum who is in California.

So we've never been one of those nice big families who have awesome holidays or memories or hang-outs at cottages or cabins or camping places. I've always had the friends who have the billions of cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents and such...but that's not us. Even with the small family that we have we never get to spend the time together like we should.

Why is that? Why is it that even though pretty much the only relatives you have live only five minutes away you still don't really know them. You know barely anything about them other than what they usually do for the week and stuff like that. So do it...go spend time with them...find a date and eat a meal with them. Catch up with them and just talk. We sat and just ate and talked for well over an hour...probably closer to two hours. It was amazing and I found out that this grandma I've had and known for all my life has a lot in common with me...or rather I have a lot in common with her. I always thought she was critical and didn't super approve of me and my habits/characteristics/personality...but today I realized she is one of my biggest supporters. You just never realize how much people love you and are willing to back you up even though you make stupid mistakes or do dumb things...some people just always have our back even if we don't know it.

My grandma is one of those...I didn't realize how supportive she was...how much she loved me...till we sat down and talked. I found out she really does approve of me and a lot of my ways. And I know that I am not going to wait this long before asking to go out for lunch with her again. This time it was for her birthday, but truthfully who needs a special occasion? Who needs a reason? Just do it...time is invaluable...you cannot put any kind of a price tag on the gift of spending time with someone special...friend or family.

So that's my "words of wisdom" mixed with a little personal stuff too. Just...don't waste time. Don't waste your life by putting it off. Take the people you love and spend time with them...love them..talk to them...open up to them. Here's to hoping you all have a beautiful Saturday and a blessed Labor Day weekend!

No comments: