Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Conversion Online?

So far I think I've posted some pretty laid back things...nothing too deep or religious. I mean, everything is religious...but in comparison to some things I've said online before all this is pretty tame. It's just fluff...cotton candy, if you will. Honestly I'm not sure if I will be posting anything too deep or theological. It's not that I'm not grounded or proud of my faith...but rather that I've seen it all played out before. I've posted some pretty controversial things before.

I'll admit this up front: I am a radical Christian. I know a lot of Christians say that...being a Christian makes me radical enough already...but being a 5 point Reformed Christian (a Calvinist) makes me even more of a stranger. I can't even count on both hands and feet how many times I've been asked what church I go to or what religion I am and when I tell them their eyes kind of glaze over..they give me this "ohh I see" when in reality they've never even heard it before. We're not popular...and we're not well liked. But hey, God never said anyone would like any of His people...Calvinist or not.

So far most of my posts here have been skimming the surface of Christianity....they are issues and subjects that pretty much any Christian agrees with (with very few exceptions). I don't know if I particularly care to get deeper...into more personal and specific messages. My goal is to glorify God...not get into heated arguments or debates especially over the internet. I've been there...trust me I went through several MONTHS of that before. That taught me a valuable lesson: if you're going to be different in your religion do your best not to stir the pot...and never post specific religious topics online...ever. People aren't looking all over Twitter, Facebook, or Google+...they are online to waste time and if they see something they don't like they will go after it like a gold-digger. Just...don't pick fights...pick and choose your mountains to die on but if you're going to be super different in your belief I've learned to just keep it to yourself.

Fighting online is one of the most immature things you could possibly do. It degrades you! The people you're arguing with obviously aren't looking to be converted...they just disagree...so they state that...and you state why you're right...and they state the flaws...so you correct the flaws...then they state their belief...and you state their flaws...and they correct those...and so it goes around and around and NOTHING gets accomplished other then you both come off as looking like complete idiots to everyone who has popcorn and is sitting in front of their screen waiting for your caps lock to come on. And the name calling! Ah! Don't even get me started.

Yes, I have stated a lot of things...but if you're going to go about "converting" the online world you can do it much more subtly then you could ever imagine. "Wise as serpents and gentle as doves". Not "march in like a herd of elephants with bazooka guns and french horns". Just...as Christians we are called to be a ministry to others, yes, and we are called to give the Gospel...but that doesn't mean giving in when other provoke us to fights either. Well, this turned out to be a rant...against something that I find myself doing every once in a while.

Well during this whole post I did look up the word 'radical' and words like it...and personally I don't care for the definition. Maybe I was looking for a different word? Or perhaps I always thought radical meant something different. But it's coming up with words like "hot-headed" "troublemaker" or "revolutionist"...I simply meant that my religion is very different...it's exclusive and we tend to look very proud and stuck up because we don't give an inch of ground to anyone who disagrees with us or comes close to agreeing with us but disagrees on one issue.

Anyways! This post didn't turn out at all like I had originally planned...in fact I believe it went downhill. This whole post is just to say that for the time being I fully intend on keeping it friendly towards everyone and everything...my wish is not to spark great debates or arguments on my blog however much the attention and comments would be welcome - lol! But no, for the time present I fully intend to write nothing but fluff! Encouraging fluff, I hope...but nothing too personal, specific, or deeply theological.

Thank you for reading!

No comments: