Monday, January 28, 2013

Quotes Quotes Quotes

"Unless I am convicted by the testimony of the Scriptures or by clear reason, for I do not trust either in the popes or in councils alone, since it is well known that they have often erred and contradict themselves, I am bound to the Scriptures I have quoted and my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and will not retract anything, since it is neither safe nor right to go against conscience. I cannot do otherwise, here I stand. May God help me; Amen."  --Martin Luther at the Diet of Worms; April 18, 1521

O send the day of joy and light,
For long has been our sorrow's night;
We wait until Thy help appears;
With us and with our sons abide,
In us let God be glorified,
In us let God be glorified.

"So unspiritual are many men's minds, and so unsavory their judgements  that they reckon men's happiness by their possessions, and suppose the catalogue of their titles to be a roll of their felicities, calling the proud happy and advancing in our conceits "them that work wickedness," Mal. 3:13; but God will one day come in with another reckoning, and make them know that all things without Christ are but as ciphers without a figure...of no value." --John Owen


No comments: