Thursday, January 10, 2013

Book Quote

"We find ourselves living with a nagging hope for something better. We want something better than the churchianity of our parents and grandparents, something better than the vague and uncertain spirituality of our neighbors, something better than guilt-induced, holier-than-thou morality, something better than here-and-now, health-and-wealth promises, something more than going-through-the-motions religiosity or the latest-fad religious experience. We were hoping for something authentic—something worth opening our hearts to and filling our minds with and giving our lives for.

And there is something better. There is something better than living life with a merely sentimental, superficial spirituality. There is something better than going through life with a debilitating fear of death. Better than becoming bored and burdened by meaningless religious ritual, better than feeling like an unwelcome outsider or an unworthy hypocrite, better than being bound by shame and regret."

I don't know what the name of the book is...but I got this from a friend on Facebook and really enjoyed reading it!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This really hits home for me. It's basically a summery of my life. So many people, not to mention Christians-especially in America-are settling for routine, hum drum, religious lives without any true meaning or power behind it all. God is so much more than that, and that's what I want to spend my life telling the next generation. Thanks so much for posting, Sarah, and if you ever figure out what book that is, I'd be interested in reading it. :)

Unknown said...

Found it :) "Hoping for Something Better: Refusing to Settle for Life as Usual" by Nancy Guthrie. Though I'll warn you...I heard that's the only substantial part of the book! I've never read it, so I can't vouch for that...but I'm interested to read it as well!