Thursday, April 18, 2013

The Question is Death. What is Your Answer?

1 Peter 2:9 says, "But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light". 

You are different. Different is not bad though, readers. You are called to a higher calling. A deeper meaning and purpose behind life. Recently there was a death of a young girl in our community. I didn't know her too well...but she was young, my age. It was very sudden and very unexpected. For two days after I had heard about it I was just completely stunned. In the normal day we are equipped with the answers...the reasons why there is such a thing as sin and death and how all must perish in this life and how they go to a better life. 

But with any death...close to you or far away...all the answers fade away. Nothing makes sense and all logic and reasoning gets fuzzy and blurry. It doesn't make sense. For two whole days it was like this for me. This is a crossroads for anyone. Anyone who has death close or far knows what this feels like. You either go towards the light or you curse the light and turn towards the darkness. 

For two days I searched for an answer. I know that death is called for every man. I know we don't have a choice. I know death is necessary because of our disobedience to God. I know that going to heaven is the better option because you are out of the clutches of this sinful world. I know that we should rejoice that they are finally happy forever.

But my question that had no answer was this: "Why death early?" 

Why do we have to "check out" early? Why can't we just live a full life of glorifying God and then go to be with Him? Why must the young die? Why must we die unexpectedly? 

Maybe you have an easy answer for it, one you are satisfied with. But because my head and thoughts were clouded I could not think of anything. I prayed for answers and tried to ask others for answers...but hey, turns out no one wants to think about life and death and what it all means. Understandable, I guess. One person said that death is the unknown...that is why people fear it. No one knows what it really is or is like. So we fear it for that reason.

I don't fear it...I just have so many questions about it. I want to know about it...how it works and WHY it works the way it does. 

But after two days of searching, asking, praying...I was listening to a song (Red - Not Alone) and it just...it was like lightening. It was so simple that I wanted to bang my head on the wall from the silliness of not seeing it sooner. But...God does have His ways of learning and I am a bit of a slow learner. 

Short lives are meaningful...more meaningful. That's NOT to say that if you die older you have no meaning or little meaning in your life. But when there is an unexpected death or a young death then doesn't it make you stop and think a lot more than a natural death of an older person would? It also makes you appreciate life a lot more. 

It helps you live that meaningful life that we as Christians are called to live. We are that set apart people...the chosen people. Shouldn't our lives reflect that? A young death reminds you that you may not have all your life to live. This family didn't think that saying goodnight would be the last thing she would ever hear on this earth. She didn't know that everything she did that day would be the last time she did any of that. 

What if you were to think like that? What if every conversation you ended you spoke to the person how you would like them to remember you if you died? What if the things you did in your day reflected what you would do on your last day on earth? What would you do? What would you say? 

Death is inevitable. That is a little depressing. But it's NOT. It is a fact and we cannot keep pushing it aside and avoiding it. Death is not some dark fearful thing to be afraid of simply because it is the unknown. It doesn't have to be the unknown. Look for the answers. They may be different than mine. But until you find your own answers you will be fearful of death. You will avoid the topic. You will deny that it is inevitable to you. And you will not be living that life that is exemplary and mindful of God's purpose in your life. 

Do you have answers?

No comments: