Monday, August 8, 2011

The Beauty of Baptism and other adventures

Last week was full…full of surprises and fun times! My 16th birthday was last Sunday (a week and a day ago) and I spent it with my church family in the morning and my biological family (grandparents) in the evening. I had such a great time celebrating not only my birthday but my grandma’s, which is the day after mine.

Monday, I woke up early and was told I had a “doctor’s appointment”. My mum drove me up to the Mason area but dropped me off at the Ingham County Fair to spend the day with Madison. We both had so much fun. She had several horse shows throughout the day and it was nice to finally be able to see her show. We didn’t have a ton of time to hang out or do much, but what time we did have was so much fun. Then I had my real doctor’s appointment before coming home and simply crashing.

Tuesday was a bit more relaxed. I woke up late and kind of lazed around until 11 or so when Rachel took me up to Lansing for some sisterly “shopping” which consisted of dropping me off at Emily’s house. We spent the next few hours just talking and talking. It was nice to finally be able to catch up with her and get to take pictures of her! Also, I got to go to work (I love my job).

Wednesday, phew, I still say that with a smile…I was kidnapped for the first time in my whole life. Not only that, but it was done with me blindfolded. At 9 am on the dot, I was promptly blindfolded by my gleeful siblings and grabbed and stuffed into our van. Just as we pulled out of the driveway the blindfold was pulled off to reveal Libby! She had me for the majority of the day. We headed straight up to the Eastwood Town Center and watched the newest Winnie the Pooh (you all better be really jealous at this point). Oh. My. Word. It was so amazing! I had totally forgotten just how fantastic Pooh is! Well, not just Pooh, but Winnie the Pooh in general! After that we went over and hung out at Schuler’s for a bit just browsing. Lunch was spent at Johnny Rocket’s (a sort of retro place with coke signs on the wall and booths and stools at the counter where you can eat and all that amazing cool old stuff) and boy, that was so different and FUN. I want to go back! We then went over to American Eagle and just browsed there too before heading home. It was a very exciting day.

Thursday was much more relaxed…no super big surprises. I just had fun cleaning and reading books and such. I also began to prepare for HPA auditions. That evening, however, my mum took me out to get ice cream with my da at Dairy Queen.

Friday, I got to be home alone for the morning and most of the afternoon because other people were out and about at auditions and work and such. I had my HPA auditions from 4-7 with a call back from 7:30-10. Honestly, I don’t want to think or talk about how I did or how I think I went or anything related to that until the cast list comes out. I don’t want to form any kind of opinion on how I did until that point. But it was so nice to be able to see all my friends again! I got home late to be surprised with Toria spending the weekend! We stayed up a little late (or early, take your pick) just talking and getting all caught up.

Saturday was a busy day. The morning involved a tiny bit of work. My da had a couple guys over to help get our old sliding back door out and put a nice shiny new one in. I left for work with Toria and was away for a while. Work was so much fun because...well, it was “Fun Day” at the library. I had to wear these little kids plastic star sunglasses most of the time and little stretchy bracelet. We left from there with Rakie and Jon to get some Subway and go shopping! We went to Goodwill and I was so happy with the clothes I got there. Next stop: Biggbys. After that we headed home and just did chores and work for the rest of the day before watching Letters to Juliet and Night and Day. Another night was before us so we did spend most of it up talking again. I love that girl; I’m just going to put that out there!

Sunday was well spent also. Church was so beautiful…I still can’t get over it. We had two people become members of the church and their five children baptized along with communion and the regular service. Never the less, I don’t know what it was but during the baptisms I had tears spring to my eyes…I don’t normally get that emotional during church, but it was so touching to me to be reminded of how great our baptisms are. They form us and shape us to become the individual we turn out to be. Watching those children as they stood, unknowing of the grandness that was behind it all, I was touched by just how great, forgiving, and merciful our God is to us. Those moments are the ones I treasure always and I have a feeling that this feeling of awe and speechlessness at God’s grandeur is not something likely to pass quickly. Even tonight as I sat in evening church I was once again taken back by the situation of God’s love towards us. It was so great and magnificent that I know I will be on fire for Him and ready to jump out of bed every single Sunday for a long time eager to go and just grow in Christ. The “on fire” moments are so amazing and I thank God for my church and my church family. I left thinking to myself, “It was good to be in the house of the Lord!” May God grant you such “on fire” moments. Last night, I also began to organize our bookshelf since I've begun this new library job and am all about the organizing of books. That took a very long time and is still not completely finished, but I do feel as if it were much more organized then before.

No comments: