Wednesday, August 25, 2010

A Day with Rachel

I think that my day with Rachel Skiba deserves a whole blog post because it was so very interesting and unique.

I arrived at Rachel’s house at 8:30 AM and the first thing that we did, was to make ourselves some breakfast. Since I am supposed to have yogurt because I am on antibiotics, I had just planned to walk down to the store with her and get some, but they had some there, which made it rather easy for me. Therefore, I had a yogurt and an egg for breakfast. After breakfast, we trudged up to her room in order to lie on her bed, eat gummy bears, and talk. After talking for a while, she showed me all her pictures on her camera. Directly following that, we trudged back downstairs and sat in her parents’ bedroom and looked at all the pictures that had once been on her camera but were now on her computer. Since we were already in the picture-looking-at mood, we searched for pictures on her computer (that had not been on her camera) under keywords that I especially liked. We printed off a page of those for me to take home (it just so happens that I forgot it anyways). During this entire exchange, I got to meet Hugo and Mac, who were friends of Rachel. They were actually pretty cute, if I do say so myself. Hugo was by far my favorite and I think he kinda liked me. :D Also, during the entire time we were on the computer, we listened to amazingly beautiful, and heart wrenching music (take for instance, Wicked). After the pictures, she let me read a story of hers that was on the computer. We then asked her dad if we could walk down to QD, which he granted permission for. Even as we walked there, we could feel the need for sugar and hyperness. Upon leaving, it was most likely an amusing sight for any passerby, as they would have seen to teenager girls walking out of QD with both of their hands full. One hand was tightly gripping a Death by Chocolate ice. cream cone, while the other contained a 44 oz. slushie. She got Blue Raspberry and I got a mixture of Cherry, Blue Raspberry and Mt. Dew. We arrived back at her house, and finished as much of the dishes as was possible, before once again obtaining permission from Mr. Skiba and walking down the street to a park nearby. In all honesty, we completely lost track of time and spent close to two hours down there. We talked the majority of time, when we weren’t making ourselves completely dizzy by spinning on the little stand-on-this-weird-circle-type-thing-and-put-your-hands-on-this-thing-above-your-head-and-then-you-just-automatically-spin-round-and-around-and-you-can’t-stop thingamabob. That and the pokey merry-go-round (where we lay for a while and tanned) were about the only things that we went on. Oh, and there was that spiral thing that we attempted to actually slide down on “the right way”. After that, she discovered the water fountains and in due time, found out that one of them sprays far into the air. She played in the water for a decent amount of time while I lay on a bench and tried to regain my absent brain (I don’t recall it ever being regained). We both sat down together after that and had a long, but fruitful conversation that was based upon religion and politics. I am very glad that we did it, because it helped me apply all the things that I had just learned in evening church, the Sunday before. Also, it let me brush up on my “debating” skills. Her dad finally drove by on his way to work and told us to get back to the house, because we had been gone for so long. As we hustled back, we wondered if we were in any trouble. As far as I know of right now, we didn’t. Anyways, as we arrived at the house, we did a few chores around the house including some laundry type thing, and the dishes. After the dishes were finished, we engaged in the mind-boggling sport of how to make your own bubbles with your hands. She taught me the arts and I sort of caught on (actually Rachel, if you’re reading this, know this: Last night after I got home, I went to the downstairs bathroom and I practiced! I actually did get four decent sized bubbles, although I think the soap was weird). Directly after the bubble-blowing lesson, we trudged up the stairs to the girls’ room (I have been using the word ‘trudged’ to describe our trips up and down their stairs, because with stairs like theirs you can’t run or skip or hop or anything…you must always trudge. While we were upstairs, we were joined by the flock of her younger sisters. We finished our gummy bears, and then had a tickling session (where most of the girls were tickled because they wanted to be). Following this, was dinner time…and so, we all trudged back downstairs. For dinner, we had chicken and broccoli with gravy over it. I really enjoyed it. After that, I gathered my things, and my dad picked me up.

After we came home, I cleaned up a bit and got “settled” in my real home, before sitting down with the majority of my family to watch “Unbreakable” (good movie).

Thank you all, for reading…as always, it is *much* appreciated.