Friday, March 15, 2013

A Legacy Worth Remembering

Okay, so in terms of an explanation for why I haven't been writing as often (or rather, at all)...I've been pretty busy with normal school, music, work...but I've also been pretty sick lately and I got injured snowboarding on Monday! So even though I've had some down-time I haven't really felt up to blogging...so sorry! I hope to get more into the swing of it all now. 

My brother and dad are in this Men's Bible Study thing...they meet on Thursday nights. For some weird reason that still has not been explained to me their assignment this week was to have someone write an obituary for them. Well...naturally the task fell to me. At first, I was a little weirded out.  But oh well. So I got out the newspaper and ripped out a few obituaries...just to see how it's done. Well, it didn't take too long to finish both my dad's and brother's obituaries...and don't worry...they are neither dead nor dying!

While reading the obituaries in the paper I came across one lady's...she was 97 years old when she died. It went on to talk about how many children she had (9 I think?) and 42 grandkids and ...here's where I don't quite remember but I'm pretty sure she had a few great grandkids...and maybe 2 great great grandkids? I'm too tired to figure out whether that is logically possible and too lazy to go upstairs and get the page of obituaries. But it went on to talk about her life and what she did and everything about her. It was just amazing to read about this beautiful life that she lived. 

All that made me stop and really *think* about the legacy we leave behind. Are we life-changers? When anyone dies, yes, no matter how awful they really were all we do is reminisce about their good things...and to an extent that is right. But what if...what if when someone died all people could talk about was their good things because that really is all there is to remember? What kind of a legacy would you leave behind you if you died tonight? I know...so clique...but really think about it! Seriously...stop what you are doing and think about it for...max 5 minutes. It's gonna feel like a long time but once you're done it will be worth it. 

What are people going to remember about you? Are they going to have to work hard to remember the good things? Or will they have to work hard to remember anything negative about you? Will you live a beautiful life? I found something that won't leave my mind since I watched the movie Courageous. Are you going to be unhappy over all the things you miss out on? Or grateful for the time you did get? Totally paraphrased...but you get my point. Are you living to LIVE? Or are you living to live...or simply fill space on the earth? Do you really want to be here? Or are you just doing it because you were born? 

Behind all of this lurks the ever present question...WHAT/WHO are you living for? Now, normally I would say there is no right or wrong answer. But here...there is no gray. It's either black and white. Are you living for yourself? Even if you live for those you love around you it's ultimately a selfish reason. Or are you living for God? Are you desperately seeking Him in your every thought, word, and deed? Or are you just living to get by? Are you living for a reason? A purpose? A goal? A meaning? Or ...just because all the other options kinda suck? 

My heart breaks for you if you are apart from Christ and you deny it. I've watched so many people struggle day in and day out like that. Finding no purpose in life. Finding no meaning or joy. They live for nothing...they resort to cheap fun tactics of life to try and satisfy the emptiness that they feel. But they have to keep resorting to it out of habit and a need for more...but NOTHING can ever fill that hole...that emptiness...that longing for more. Nothing but Christ. And okay...I hadn't meant to make this post into a sentimental "come to Jesus" post...but I guess it did. I can't help but talk about Him! 

People...I've been where you've been at. I've felt that emptiness...that longing for MORE. The absolutely *need* for more. I will never deny you need more. But more of whatever you are addicted to won't ever help you...not even once, I promise. No matter how many times you end up drunk or high or whatever people are doing these days to satisfy the Christ-craving (I kinda like that) ...no matter what you do you will NEVER escape the reality that you need need need something. But until you realize your need for Him, you will keep searching. And believe me when I say that I don't hold it against you...I've been there, believe me. I've done the whole searching act...and it cannot hold up for long. 

Hopefully, and believe me when I say I pray for anyone searching, you will come across the answer you are looking for in your lifetime. With that Answer comes such BLESSED Peace...that peace that passes all understanding. You will never comprehend or understand quite how that peace works. But trust me, it is *beautiful*. It gives you joy. Hope. Meaning. Purpose. Love. Answers. 

That is the kind of legacy you want to leave with those you love. THAT is a life well lived. That is a stunning, drop-dead gorgeous life. That is an attractive life. It will draw others in. You teach it to your children...who teach it to their children...who pass it down for generations upon generations. That, my dear readers, is the true meaning of love. If your family were dying in a burning building and YOU could save them...if you had the chance and the ability to...would you? Of course you would. If those you loved dearest were drowning and you could save them...you would. So now...when you see those around you struggling and denying the Answer they need...can you just let them go? Let them die while searching and seeking for that Answer? Give them the answer they need...give them hope and a meaning for life. Know that it is Him working through you and nothing of your own.

Let me just say I love my work! Working at the library can prove to be ...well, interesting at times. You get the nicest people and the weirdest people and the rudest people and well...everyone! But one thing I really enjoy is that it has all become like clockwork for me. I've worked there for long enough to be able to thinking about multiple things while working...and tonight I had this Bible verse running through my head over and over. I *LOVE* it when that happens! I have a hard time memorizing a verse so when it just randomly pops into my head it makes me HAPPY! So the verse that I had tonight (which I thought was pretty appropriate) was Matthew 5:16, which says: "In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven." 

Have a lovely evening, dear readers! Please feel free to message me or post in the comments any prayer requests you ever have. The most beautiful thing I can go to my Father with apart from praising and thanking Him is requests of those He loves and calls His own. 

No comments: