Monday, May 21, 2012

The Sad State of Our Generation

A paragraph I took from the book I'm reading "Cry Havoc! The Great American Bring-down and How it Happened":

A recent survey of seniors at 55 leading colleges shows that 98% could identify the rap "artist" Snoop Doggy Dogg, but only 34% knew that George Washington was commander-in-chief during the War of Independence. A Department of Education study discloses that 50% of white college students and 80% of blacks could not use a bus schedule; 90% could not use a calculator; 57% could not reckon the change they should receive from $3.00 on a $2.55 check or calculate the tip; 42% could not put the American Civil War in the right century; and 35% did not know the difference between the European Reformation and our post-Civil War Reconstruction. Of those who had heard of the Reconstruction era, half placed it after World War II.

Where is this generation headed? Sad days.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh, that is just depressing... I'm so glad for parents and grandparents who like to teach history and basic life skills. Now, I can ID Snoop Dogg, too, lol but I sure know that the Civil War was from 1861-1865!!!

Thanks for the post, Sarah. This kind of stuff gives me that drive to want to teach my kids all this stuff someday. I don't want ignorant and senseless children. XD